Check out what we have going on this year!
- HRA maintains four gateway locations within the neighborhood — Fairfield & Robinson, Centenary & Kings Highway and Columbia Park flower beds at Rutherford Street and Columbia Street entrances. This year, HRA will continue to refurbish each gateway with plants and flowers and maintain irrigation systems on those with them.
- Since 1977, HRA has hosted a biennial Christmas Tour of Homes to bring people into the Highland neighborhood to experience its charm and diverse architecture. The tour has grown from a single evening tour to a two-day event that boasts complimentary trolley rides and highlights neighborhood artists and businesses. The candlelight tour is held the second Saturday in December through the grandiose homes along Fairfield Avenue. The Sunday afternoon tour brings guests into the heart of the neighborhood.
- HRA assisted ReForm Shreveport and Shreveport Public Assembly & Recreation with tree plantings, cleanups and other improvements at Highland Park in 2018. This year, HRA will design and purchase distance markers to be places along the park’s newly re-paved walking path. Each marker will include an interesting fact about the neighborhood to educate those using the track on the neighborhood and possibly entice them to explore more of it.
- Initiate a $250 mini grant to fund minor exterior home repairs for neighborhood residents over the age of 60. These repairs will be open to dues-paying members. More details on the application process will be released this spring.
- Highland Heroes is an annual potluck dinner hosted at Fire Station 7 on Wilkinson Street in October. Neighborhood residents are encouraged to bring a dish and share a meal with Highland firefighters, patrol officers and other first responders. The event is a great way for us to meet those serving the neighborhood.
- Coordinate and identify neighborhood residents who could benefit from The Big Event, Centenary College’s student-led, large scale day of service uniting the college with its neighbors.
- Paint the Highland sign at the intersection of Marshall Street and Gilbert Drive.
- Installation of new historic district signs in Highland. Details on how to acquire one of the existing brown signs will be revealed at the Jan. 17 General Membership Meeting.
- Award quarterly Neighborhood Improvement Awards to residents making extraordinary exterior improvements their homes. Email nominations to [email protected]
- Participation in United Way Day of Caring — a one-day, community-wide event allowing volunteers to see their contributions at work. Project details have not been ironed out and ideas can be emailed to [email protected]
- Participation in Give for Good – a 24-hour online giving challenge that brings north Louisiana together to benefit nonprofits. HRA plans to work on a fun event for those who donate. Ideas can be emailed to [email protected]
- Host litter cleanups on the second Saturday of every month to beautify the neighborhood. HRA provides the trash bags, grabbers, gloves and water. Start time is typically 9 a.m. but can change due to weather.